Re: [css-images] Editorial: clarify the default sizing algorithm

On 19/04/17 15:38, Lea Verou wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As written in the current ED, the default sizing algorithm (§5.3.1)
>> contains:
>>
>> > If the specified size has no constraints:
>> > 1. If the object has an intrinsic height or width, its size is
>> > resolved as if its intrinsic size were given as the specified size.
>> > 2. Otherwise, its size is resolved as a contain constraint against
>> > the default object size.
>>
>> 1 and 2 both invoke sub-algorithms, but fall into specific cases of
>> these algorithms. I think the quoted text would be more clearly
>> written as:
>>
>> > If the specified size has no constraints, each dimension of the
>> > concrete object size is taken from the intrinsic dimensions if that
>> > intrinsic dimension is given, from the default object size
>> > otherwise.
>>
>> --
>> Simon Sapin
>
> This is not equivalent: Your wording is not equivalent to the original,
> since it resolves dimensions separately, ignoring any intrinsic aspect
> ratio.

You’re right. I don’t remember the details, but it looks like when I
wrote that email I misunderstood the bit of spec that I proposed modifying.

It also looks like I intended this to be an editorial-only change, so no
change is fine.

--
Simon Sapin