Re: [css-backgrounds] [css-images] Interop for sizing gradients with only width

Am 13.04.2017 um 22:58 schrieb Oriol _:
>> Since the general behaviour is to use the given value for all possible
>> values if there is only one given
>
> But this case is in the list of CSS mistakes
> (https://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/mistakes):
>> |background-size| with one value should duplicate its value, not
> default the second one to |auto|.
This is exactly why I used the term "feels right". There is no right and
wrong, it is just a matter of what you are used to.

>From "the old days" of CSS I would expect values to duplicate its value
or use it for all four values if they exist.

In times of CSS 2 it was quite simple for the day to day web designer to
keep track, he had to read only one spec. These days there are "too
many" specs to follow. So to have one pattern to follow would make
things a lot simpler and more reliable for the web. And to be honest, I
was into CSS real tight for many years and still am, but keeping track
of all these developements is quite time consuming and you cannot expect
that from the common web developer.
In my humble opinion it is really important to keep things simple to
reach as many web developers as possible.

So you can say, it is right this way according to spec or note XYZ, but
I would not take a for certain, that everybody will read up on that when
the general pattern was different.

So I urge the spec drivers to find a common path.

Stefan