Re: [css3-selectors]: Proposal: Adop the ::wrap pseudo element

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> (Also from a practical point of view, I get the impression from implementers
> that
> it is much easier to implement parsing of a new HTML element than to
> implement a
> new CSS pseudo-class that warps the element tree, so if one of your
> motivations
> for trying to solve the problem in CSS instead of HTML is speed-to-market...
> you're targetting the wrong place. ;)

Yeah, this is the big thing.  New pseudos that wrap "real" elements in
some way are... not popular among implementors. The idea for ::wrap
goes back well over a decade, and the complexity it adds to the
platform versus the benefit you get, when compared to just adding
wrapper elements in your HTML, has meant that implementors have never
bitten at the idea.