Re: Discuss HDR at CSS WG next week ?

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 10:05 PM, Rossen Atanassov <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 16:53:53, Mark Watson wrote:
>>
>> I have some use-cases and issues / questions related to High Dynamic Range
>> graphics / images and how they could be supported in CSS. I wondered if this
>> topic was or could be on the agenda for next week ?
>
> Are you referring to our TPAC agenda? If so, we don't have the topic scheduled and looking through everything we have it is doubtful we could get to it.
>
> Could you summarize your proposal? Is this something proposed at WICG already?

Yes, TPAC. I've raised the issue of HDR a few times on the CSS list,
but with no real response. We had a breakout at TPAC last year, but no
one from CSS attended. I imagine that is because people do not yet
have real hardware / platform APIs with which to play with this
functionality. Those will soon be available, so it seemed good timing
to raise it again and explain the various problems.

I only have problems, not a proposal. The basic problem (as I
understand it) is that with HDR displays, users are unlikely to want
the peak white for regular sRGB to map to the peak luminance of the
display. That would make desktops blindingly bright. So there needs to
be a way for pages to signal when they are providing data in the sRGB
luminance space (where peak white is what the user has set as a
comfortable luminance for their desktop according to current ambient
light) and when they are providing data in a different luminance
space, where peak white is brighter (exactly how bright is one of he
questions to be answered.)

If the WICG is the appropriate place to raise these problems, I can do
that, but the experts are in CSS WG so I wondered if there was
interest in learning about these issues.

Thanks ... Mark