CSS TPAC Agenda+ (Was: [mediaqueries] CSS "prefers-" media features (from TPAC [2014] discussion))

Florian Rivoal wrote:

> If you do a pull request, please mention it on the list as well. I'd say
> a pull request is fine, because it gives us something concrete to look at,
> but since we need to the review I talked about, www-style should stay the
> anchor point for this.

Responding to this old thread as an FYI that I have raised these as GitHub issues #442 and #443. Thanks to Florian and Alan for providing additional feedback.

Media Feature: "increase contrast" and/or "reduce transparency" user settings
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/443

Media Feature: "reduce motion" user setting
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/442

Microsoft and Apple have been proposing related media features for several years, and it seemed like we came to a tentative agreement at TPAC 2014. Android also supports a native "increase contrast" setting that could be exposed to the Web.

Unfortunately, the inverted-colors media feature was moved from MQ3 to MQ4 a little while later, and was again deferred out of MQ4 earlier this year. Since the web development community and our customers are starting to demand web support for vestibular and low vision settings, the only alternative I can see would be to follow Microsoft's lead and ship a vendor-prefixed media feature. Due to minor differences between the contrast features across platforms, I believe the best way to move forward on a standard is to set aside some CSS discussion time with the interested vendors.

Could we get time on the CSS WG agenda for TPAC? I've reserved Tuesday the 20th to attend the CSS meeting, so that would be the ideal day for me.

Thanks,
James Craig