Re: [css-values] [css-color] XSL-FO and CSS - expression languages compared

On Thu, 2016-11-17 at 12:11 +0900, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> > [...]

> > mod (operator)
> > floor()
> > ceiling()
> > round()
> > min(a, b) - seems better than using units like vmin/vmax
> > max(a, b)
> > abs()
>
> [...]

> in the face of implementation difficulties, it is probably worth
> looking at specific use cases that would benefit from these, and see
> if we have other ways of addressing them in CSS. If not, then maybe
> we should bite the bullet and deal with the complexity.

Those particular examples aren't non-linear. exp() woud be. mod() is
non-monatonic, which you might've meant.

I was tasked with identifying differences and I admit this seemed like
an easy place to start. Thanks for your review.

I agree there are some implementation issues & would like to hear more
from browser devs. I suspect the circular viewport people have use
cases for some of the functions in my list, e.g. sqrt and tan. I know
I've wanted those to be able to work out how much space to leave for a
skewed box - I could put in the absolute numbers in some cases but
that's not DRY. Some of it you can do with a preprocessor, and you're
limited in any case since you can't ask for the size of another box in
CSS, unfortunately. We discussed adding that dependency feature to FO,
and had support for it (with restrictions) but I don't think it made it
into the draft.

Liam