Re: [round-display] [motion-path] Orientation of elements due to merging polar positioning and motion path

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 05/25/2016 05:34 PM, Shane Stephens wrote:

> >> I would expect them to be independent. I don't expect 'rotate'
> >> to affect motion, nor motion to affect 'rotate'. I also don't
> >> expect 'transform' to be affected by any of these, it should
> >> apply on top as a final operation.
> >
> > I don't think that's possible unless you're happy for translate
> > to behave differently to transform: translate.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here... they should behave the same.
> And neither should be affected by either 'motion-rotation' or 'rotate'.

For a translation to be unaffected by a rotation, the translation has to
'go first' (i.e. come earlier in the final transform list). That means that
transform and translate would both have to come before motion and rotate.

So I guess something like:
transform
translate
rotate
scale
motion

That in turn would imply that e.g. transform: rotate(90deg) would change
the behavior of both translate and motion, and that scale & rotate would
also change the behavior of motion.

I don't think this order makes much sense, btw, but the point is that
there's no order that makes perfect sense. The current order:

motion
translate
rotate
scale
transform

means that you can naively use motion and the 3 component properties with
only the side effect that motion rotation will change the reference axes
for the component properties (which is possibly something that people will
want to happen anyway). Transform applies on top but it's already an
"expert" property.

We get *limited independence* of translate, rotate and scale because a
special property of keeping these properties separate and in this order is
that we're effectively running decomposition in reverse. We can't do this
trick with transform or motion, unless we were to try and do some kind of
multichannel decomposition and recombination, which scares me (the existing
decomposition we do for transform animation already produces weird,
unexpected results).

There's no genuine independence possible while we output the results of
these properties as matrices that get combined into a final transformation
matrix. This isn't me being pedantic, it's a consequence of matrix
multiplication.

Cheers,
    -Shane