Re: Towards a better testsuite

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Here's a few additional minor bits of info ...

Blink pulls updates of (a small subset of) web-platform-tests manually but
reasonably frequently,
probably more than once a week. We could automate this easily but so far
haven't.

We would ideally like to run most if not all of w-p-t but probably won't
until we can figure
out how to best de-duplicate the surely large overlap between w-p-t and our
own tests
(or until we decide we can afford to run twice the number of tests we run
today).

We also pull (a very small subset of) csswg-test but do so much less
frequently.

We have no plans to import and run all of csswg-test, mostly because the N
thousand
manual would require us to have new pixel references for them. However, it
would
be good to importing more of the test suites, under the same conditions as
w-p-t above
(figuring out how to de-dup things, or accept the overlap).

We do not have a good process worked out for automatically upstreaming
tests and fixes
back to the w3c repos, but we do have people regularly contributing tests
upstream.

I believe at least some subsets of w-p-t and csswg-test have been imported
into WebKit
in the past; the import process is (or at least was) roughly the same
between Blink and
WebKit.

I thought the plan of record already was to merge csswg-test into w-p-t? I
strongly
support that.

The v8 team runs test262 as part of their CI, and my impression was that
they kept it
up to date, but I'd have to check further to confirm that; I do not know
how much they
have contributed back.

Given that test262 and the ECMA committee follows a fundamentally different
process,
and that the JS tests can usually be run by a standalone JS engine without
requiring
a browser, I see little advantage to trying to merge test262 into w-p-t or
otherwise
mess with their processes; I think that's outside the scope of this group.

(I have not been following this stuff at all closely for a year or more, so
maybe I've missed
things. In particular I don't know the current state of WebKit and I hope I
am not
contradicting anything that rniwa@ said in the meeting).

-- Dirk