Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:31 AM, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>
> The question becomes, where is the breakpoint between them?
>
> One datapoint may come from UHDTV, according to wikipedia:
>  "On January 4, 2016, the UHD Alliance announced their specifications for Ultra HD Premium which requires devices to display at least 90% of the DCI P3 color space.[8]"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCI-P3
>
> (not clear if this is 90% by gamut volume, or some less useful 2D coverage on xy or u'v' chromaticity diagrams, but it gives a ballpark figure of 90% for "or thereabouts".

The way I read this is that they've sort-of given up on the issue. Or at least given up trying to pretend that Ultra HDTV absolutely means P3, since the hardware was claiming Ultra HDTV but not getting close in color.

So they decided instead to come up with another term: Ultra HDTV Premium. Maybe they have some kind of compliance stick to beat people with.

We don't though. And in our case it's hard to know who should make the final decision: the browser, the system or the device. If I'm rendering to a white label Ultra HDTV (not Premium), should it match (color-gamut: p3)? Probably. It's easy enough for Apple on iOS where we know the exact capabilities of the display, but not for other engines. I think we'll have to trust what's on the box and see how it goes.

Dean