Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 21, 2016, at 1:47 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is the problem that it is being solved?
>
> Like I said, I don't know what you and Florian are talking about :)
>
> At the moment I'm focused on color(), @media (color-gamut...) and
> @color-profile. We've discussed these for a while now, and I think we have
> consensus.
>
> > Is it:
> > - consistent color across devices with option to target high gamut
> screens
>
> Yes.

If you want consistent color, you have to define the colorspace that are
trying to match. Otherwise, you will map everything to the best colors your
current device supports.
I believe the latter is what's implemented today (even if it's unspecified)

> > - media queries to detect different screens so you can special case
> content
>
> Yes.
>
> > - be able to specify out-of-range colors
>
> Out of what range? color() will allow you to specify colors in something
> other than the sRGB space, which is your only option at the moment.

I'm unsure if it's a good idea to allow the profile right in the color
definition.

For my own experience, PDF allows this but it's a very problematic
workflow; mainly because things get complicated really fast.
We now go out of our way to avoid creating content that uses this feature.
For instance, Illustrator and Photoshop make you choose a single profile
and just create colors in that space (regardless of what you see in the
UI). InDesign still supports this but you have to go deep in the advanced
settings to turn it on.