Re: [css-backgrounds] Standardize "background-clip: text"

On 03/21/2016 11:02 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I agree.  fantasai and I discussed this as part of our work on
> speccing fill/stroke, and I think we agree (she can correct me if I'm
> overstating her position) that background-clip:text is *highly
> unfortunate*, but required at this point for compat.

Yup -- it's definitely required for compat, at least if you want to
implement -webkit-linear-gradient & friends.

If you implement -webkit-linear-gradient by itself without also
implementing -webkit-background-clip:text (as we currently do in Firefox
Nightly), you end up turning on backgrounds that were never meant to be
visible outside of text, which makes for brokenness and unreadable text
-- see e.g. these screenshots:
 https://bug1238527.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8728691
 https://bug1243654.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8713227
 https://bug1248644.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8719840