RE: [css-sizing] default object size for intrinsic sizes of replaced elements

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Inline SVG counts as a replaced element for the layout algorithm;
> > <https://drafts.csswg.org/css-images/#object-sizing-examples> says
> > that the sizing of replaced elements are defined in 2.1. In
> > particular, this is defined in
> > <https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#inline-replaced-width>
> > (section 10.3.2, the first link in the replaced elements example in
> > Images).  This case is technically undefined (browsers were
> > inconsistent at the time we were finalizing 2.1),
>
> Seems reasonable to make this defined by some CSS spec now? WebKit,
> Blink and Firefox have all implemented it. Testing in Edge, it seems to work
> there too (Have no IE close by, but I don't think it works there).
>
> > but the suggestion is that replaced elements with an aspect ratio "act
> > like blocks" (more or less) to determine their width, and the height
> > is calculated from that and the aspect ratio.
>
> So what does this mean to the preferred widths in this case? Do you mean
> they just follow the actual width and be recomputed whenever the
> container width changes?
>
> David

How are you accessing Edge, if you are on a Windows 10 OS or VM then you can search for IE and access IE11. That said, for these types of discussions, we would prefer for you to focus on Edge and not bring IE into the equation if feasible as Edge is getting our interop and feature enhancements. Especially, since we have interop between all of the other browsers in this case.

~ Greg