Re: [css-pseudo] Need a way to styling the disclosure triangle of the <details> (or <summary>) element

On 08/03/2016 18:52, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Please explain how your reasoning does not require us to add aliases
> for the table-* display values as well.

Because that comes from users and not from us? If users abuse something
we carefully designed, there is not a lot we can do; and it will always
happen. I repeat, always.
But when we design stuff suboptimally, we're the guilty ones and that's
a mistake.
As I said earlier, we remained partly semantic with 'list-item'
instead of digging deeper and going to the stylistic roots: what
specifies a list-item is a marker, a marker type or image and its
position. I was there at that time and I don't remember exactly the
discussions. But it made some sense since list items (without -)
were the only use case *at that time*. We lacked some forwardthinking,
clearly.
This the first request to apply it to an element that is not a list
item and we have two options: do it the right way acknowledging the
fact we were not broad enough when we designed this, or make it a hack
and possibly extend that hack in the future.
My preference goes to the former, because we'll hit other cases in the
future and 'list-item' will make less and less sense. I feel we made
a mistake we have to now fix.

</Daniel>