Re: [css-grid] grid-gap and abspos

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 9:35 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 1:43 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Question: Should absolutely-positioned grid items pay attention to the
>>> grid
>>> gap?
>>> They ignore padding... wouldn't it make sense to also ignore grid-gap?
>>

>> What do you mean by "ignore grid-gap"?
>>
>> They don't "ignore padding" either - what do you mean by that?
>
> Abspos is positioned against the padding edge: so the space between
> the border-edge and the content usually provided padding is not there.

I'm extremely confused about what you're trying to say here.  Can you
provide some concrete example code illustrating what you're trying to
talk about?

> Ignoring grid-gap would mean pretending the grid-gap was zero --
> positioning against the grid lines themselves, without the extra
> padding provide by the grid gap.

Where are the grid lines in the gap?  This is not a well-defined concept.

Even if we did define something like that, it would be very ugly and
wouldn't match any use-case I've ever seen illustrated for this kind
of thing.