Re: Agenda+ CSS Round Display Issues

> On Jun 21, 2016, at 16:51, Lars Knudsen <larsgk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have one good example of current tech with odd shaped displays (or masks):  Car dashboards.  Apart from that, we will most probably see other than round (circle, ellipse) and rectangular displays soon in appliances.  I am just saying that one could at least take a step back and consider if there could be another slightly more generic way of representing the shape than limiting it to a circle (and probably ellipse).  E.g. using NURBS or the like.

Right, these are good examples of oddly shaped screens (although it is questionable how likely a generic purpose web browser on a car dashboard is...).

However, I don't think we are restricting ourselves to a circle or an ellipse with the current proposals:

* Polar coordinates (now under the offset-* properties) work in arbitrary shaped elements/screens, and thanks to the contain keyword, can take that shape into account

* shape-inside:display, viewport-fit and border-boundary are definitely shape agnostic

* For media queries we eventually plan to have two different media queries. One that lets you detect whether any particular location in the viewport would be obscured by the screen shape (whatever that shape is), and one that tells you if the screen is rectangular or round.

That later media query is indeed circle/ellipse specific, but that's for a reason: wanting to opt into a rounded design on rounded screens for stylistic reasons is a clear demand from designers, but it does not generalize well to arbitrary shapes. If you're trying to accommodate the shape of the screen to avoid the corners, slide along the side of the screen, and similar, the other tools are more appropriate.

 - Florian