Re: Agenda+ CSS Round Display Issues

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 17:46, Lars Knudsen <larsgk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> this is the first I hear of CSS Round Display (been living under a rock).
>
> One question - if you in the spec state: "Nowadays, devices come in varied shapes of the displays. It needs to consider the shape of the display when implementing web pages on devices.", why do you then limit the sperc to focus on *one* more (very specific) shape?

I think we need to walk a fine line between designing a mechanism that makes enough sense in general that we won't be stuck next time something else than a rectangle or a circle becomes popular, but at the same time refrain from over engineering things for devices that don't actually exist and maybe never will.

I think the polar positioning / motion path does that: a polar coordinate system is clearly most useful for round things, but the 'contain' / 'closet-side' / ... keywords work in a generic fashion, which makes it suitable (if not fine tuned) for arbitrary other shapes.

(although I think that these keywords are currently attached to the wrong property, but I'll bring that up separately).

 - Florian
 <https://drafts.csswg.org/css-round-display/#closet-side>