Re: [css-page-floats] The 'clear' values are backwards

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> On Jan 26, 2016, at 11:09 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> agreement. We meant the same thing, we just used different words for it.

> is placed on page one. And the second float has the clear property set so
> that it will be placed on page two (and not page one), then also float
> three (which doesn't have the clear property set) will be placed on page 2
> (or later if there is not enough space on page 2). Float three will
> therefore not be placed on page one, even though there would be enough
> space for it there. We will make sure that the wording ensures that. This
> is also what inline floats do, so pagefloats are no exceptions.

> 'Clear: left' causes all subsequent content to clear the left float.

> of the next page? Clear:left can be set on any element, not just those with
> float:left.

> >> Page floats are already disconnected from the flow of in-flow content,
> >> in a way that inline floats aren't.  Clearing a page float shouldn't
> >> effectively cause a break.
> >>
> >> (This *is* a change from how 'clear' works today, but the change is
> >> actually more in the way that floats operate when they're "page"
> >> floats; we'd just be applying that change consistently.)
> >
> > So, setting 'clear: top' on a non-float wouldn't affect that element,
> but would cause subsequent floats to go to the next page/fragmentainer?
>
> I hadn't thought that far ahead, but sure.

I think this would be useful - but I wonder how we figure out what
fragmentainer we target. Should the element also have a float-reference? Do
we simply pick the lowest one? Some other way?

--
Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org