Re: [css-text] Issue 18: character-based alignment in table columns

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Issue 18 in CSS Text 4 asks:
>
>>Is this intended to say that it’s the centers of the alignment characters
>> that should be aligned?
>>It’s not clear that’s what it says, but that (or a different behavior)
>> needs to be specified,
>>to describe what happens when different occurrences of the alignment
>> character
>>are in different fonts. (Further, is that the intended behavior?
>>Probably the most significant use case to consider is bold vs. non-bold
>> text,
>>which only varies slightly in width.)
>
> I've been looking at what InDesign does. It appears to align the origins of
> the alignment character glyphs, which sometimes does not result in the
> centers of the alignment characters being centered. I'm seeing similar
> behavior from a TeX package I tried. This is consistent with the printed
> examples we've found so far.

This sounds like those tools just not considering the case of the
texts being in different fonts or faces.  I don't think there's a good
reason to copy that bug.  You clearly want the texts *aligned*, and
aligning centers seems most likely to get you that result.