Re: [css-page-floats] The 'clear' values are backwards

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Say you have three top page floats right after oneanother at the start
> of a
> > document. You want the first page float to be on a page with no other
> page
> > floats and the subsequent two to be on the second page. How would you go
> > about specifying the clear values for the three floats for that to happen
> > according to your model?
>
> Note: this isn't "our model". It's the spec's current model, before
> page floats are introduced.

Yeah well, current floats cannot move things to new pages. So the page
float spec will have to try to reinterpret what "clearing" means in the
context of page floats, at least to some extend, and I'm trying to figure
out how you guys would think is the most natural way of transferring what
clear does today in a context of page floats.

As you know, there is a general argument to be made that page floats could
possibly live better under a different property name because for some
aspects page floats will have to work differently. This could possibly be
another such aspect.

If there is no good way of saying

"I want this one float to be the first float on a new page and all the
following floats to follow it on that page or subsequent pages, depending
on availability of space"

or alternatively

"I want this float to be the last on this page and all subsequent floats to
be put on the next and following pages, depending on availability of space"

then I think we need a way of specifying that.

Any suggestions for what that could look like?

--
Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org