Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

> On 16Feb, 2016, at 04:11, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>
> I'm saying that any single particular color, even if it's outside
> sRGB, should be specifiable without browser support for downloading
> and processing ICC color profiles.  If you have a particular need to
> convert a set of numerical descriptions of colors (described
> according to a particular ICC profile) on the client into a form
> accepted by the browser, it seems like you could do it with a
> javascript library -- and, further, if there were substantial demand
> for such a feature, examples of such javascript libraries and how
> they behave should be being raised in this discussion.
>
> The issue that seems important to solve in this thread is to make
> sure we agree on how we want colors outside of the sRGB gamut to be
> specified in CSS.
>
> -David

ICC profiles cannot be simulated by increasing precision and range on rgb() coordinates, as you seem to be suggesting.
The reason there aren't JS libraries is because parsing ICC profiles is *hard* and the spec is very long. I have actually tried, years ago, gave up and used Java applets (which was still a thing), as Java had ICC support built in.
I can find you many questions on stackoverflow and around the Web asking how to do it though, if that would convince you. :)

~Lea