Re: Why no HSV and HCG in CSS3

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 February 2016 at 15:29, Alexey Solovey <acterhd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello. Why in CSS3 no HSV and HCG color models?
>>
>> HCG:
>> https://github.com/acterhd/hcg-color
>>
>> HSV:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV

In short, because we decided on HSL over a decade ago, and the value
of adding more that are close cousins to this is relatively low.

I added a proposal to Colors 4 for an HWB color function, which is a
slightly different syntax for the same sort of thing that HCG is doing
- it just represents the gray tone and amount as a white and black
amount instead.  I prefer HWB because it has a strong physical
justification.

> The CSS Color Module Level 4 actually allows you to create them by your own. See
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-color/#example-b1874abc for how HSV can
> be defined.

Note, of course, that this is an example of how to create a *JS* class
for HSV colors that will interoperate with the rest of the JS color
classes.  It won't add an hsv() function to CSS, and that entire
section has yet to see any implementation either.