Re: [css-color][compat][css-text-decor] Are more variants of currentcolor needed?

On Friday 2016-04-22 14:50 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > So the spec for the currentcolor:
> > https://drafts.csswg.org/css-color-4/#currentcolor-color
> > says that currentcolor represents the value of the 'color' property.
> >
> > The text-emphasis-color and text-decoration-color properties:
> > https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-decor-3/#propdef-text-emphasis-color
> > https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-decor-3/#propdef-text-decoration-color
> > use currentcolor as their initial value.
> >
> > However, the compat spec introduces a -webkit-text-fill-color
> > property that overrides the color of text:
> > https://compat.spec.whatwg.org/#the-webkit-text-fill-color
> > which has proven to be needed for compatibily.  I believe Edge has
> > implemented it, and Gecko has an implementation and is working on
> > implementing the full set of changes needed to ship that
> > implementation.
> >
> > In Chromium (and I presume WebKit, although I didn't test), the
> > -webkit-text-fill-color property also influences the color of
> > text-decorations.  See this test:
> > http://dbaron.org/css/test/2016/currentcolor
> >
> > I presume that it should also influence the color of text-emphasis,
> > although neither Chromium nor Edge appears to implement
> > text-emphasis, and the patches to Gecko so far haven't done this
> > (although I think they should).
> >
> > How should this be handled?  I see a few options:
> >
> >  (1) Say that the 'currentcolor' value has different meaning for
> >  text-decoration-color and text-emphasis-color, and for those
> >  properties uses '-webkit-text-fill-color' instead of 'color'.
> >
> >  (2) Introduce a new value, such as 'current-text-color' or
> >  'current-text-fill-color' (maybe without hyphensโ€ฝ) that is the
> >  initial value of 'text-decoration-color' and 'text-emphasis-color'.
> >
> > Again, I wrote a few tests for this at:
> > http://dbaron.org/css/test/2016/currentcolor
> > although I think more could probably be added.
>
> Surely there's a (3) See if WK/Blink can change their behavior to make
> text-decorations follow 'color' by default rather than
> 'text-fill-color'?

But if you're going to have a text-fill-color property (to change
the color of text without changing the various other things that
depend on 'color'), you probably want text-decorations and
text-emphasis to follow it, since they're basically part of the text.

-David

--
๐„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   ๐„‚
๐„ข   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   ๐„‚