Re: [css-text-decor] Emphasis marks and font variant

Elika,

Two things should happen when applying the 'ruby' GSUB feature. One is to get the substituted glyphs, which are specifically tuned for ruby use. For some fonts, such as Adobe-Japan1-4 and greater Japanese ones, the 'ruby' GSUB feature will return different glyphs. For other fonts, such as Kenten Generic, it's a no-op because the glyphs are already tuned for ruby use. The other thing that needs to happen is for the client to scale the glyphs, usually to 50%. This is outside the scope of the OpenType 'ruby' GSUB feature.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that the answer is yes. For some fonts, different glyphs will be returned (Adobe-Japan1-4 and greater), and for other fonts, the feature is not supported, which results in a no-op (Kenten Generic). In both cases, the glyphs, whether substituted or not, need to be scaled.

Best...

-- Ken