Re: [css-values] CSS counters inside CALC function

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds
<amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tab: When essentially the same feature request came up in March
> (https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Mar/0211.html), you
> agreed to note it as an outstanding issue for now.
>
> The issue is in the Editor's Draft here:
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-lists-3/#counter-functions
>
> Has there been specific feedback from other implementers since then?  I'm
> certainly one person who'd love to see this as a language feature.

No, I held the same opinion then. I do sometimes respond differently. ^_^

> When discussing performance impacts, remember that the alternative (widely
> used in decorative layouts on CodePen; I don't know how widely used in "the
> wild") is to use a CSS pre-processor to generate a series of nth-of-type
> selectors, which bloat style sheets and have their own performance concerns.

Again, the uses I see on Codepen are typically "toy" examples.
Real-world examples of common problems that counters can solve would
be appreciated, but I haven't run into them.