Re: [css-grid] Reduced Subgrid Proposal

On 04/26/2016 04:55 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>> On Apr 20, 2016, at 11:16 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The main unhandled case is wanting a nested grid that cares
>> about the parent grid's lines in one axis only; this case appears to
>> be relatively rare/niche
>
> What are you basing that "rare/niche" on? Gut feeling? Anecdotal
> observation? Some statistics? Just wondering.

I have no idea. I'm not so sure it's that niche, either.
But it was something Igalia found frightening, but didn't
seem as critical as the other three features listed in
"Rationale", so we dropped it from the proposal.

If its considered critical then we can update the proposal
to incorporate it. I think it wouldn't be that hard: just
don't ignore 'grid-template-*' in the subgrid, and only
propagate the parent grid lines if their value is 'none'.

It would be treated as a subgrid in one dimension and as
a regular spanning child element (as 'display: grid') in
the other.

~fantasai