Re: [css-grid] Reduced Subgrid Proposal

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com> wrote:
> On 15/04/16 00:35, fantasai wrote:
>> Major Use Cases Not Handled
>> ===========================
>>
>>   Requiring subgrids to work in both axes at once means
>>   the following use case cannot be handled:
>>

>>   header  header
>>   sidebar main
>>   footer  footer
>>
>>   where main is a catalog whose columns line up with
>>   content in the header and footer (and therefore need
>>   to be part of the main grid) but whose rows are auto
>>   flow, and therefore need to be independent of the
>>   main grid. Without single-axis subgridding, we can't
>>   add rows to main without disrupting the alignment of
>>   main to sidebar and the placement of footer.
>
> What will happen with this in the future?
>
> If we eventually want to support something like that, the new syntax
> "display: subgrid;" might be an issue.
> I'm not sure how important is this use case, but if we want to support
> it at some point (level 2), we should think in the syntax beforehand.

Actually, that specific case is handled just fine by this - make sure
the catalog items are in some wrapper (which they probably will be
anyway, like a <ul> or something) and just make it a display:grid
positioned in the "main" area.  It can then set up the lines that it
wants for the catalog items to subgrid against.

The more complex case that isn't handled is if, for example, the
"main" area spans several columns, and you want the catalog items to
care about those columns, but you don't know how many rows there will
be so you can't line it up with the parent grid's rows.  I think this
(and a chunk of similar complex use-cases) is best served by something
like the idea François had earlier, of linking together grids in some
way so they size their grid tracks together.  This is complex and hard
to get right, so we're going to avoid it unless absolutely necessary,
but I think it's the way to go if we do end up needing to do this sort
of thing.