Re: [css-flexbox] How should scrollbars affect flex item sizing?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Christian Biesinger
> <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It might affect the outer size of the flex item, if layout
>>> without the scroll bar results in a different intrinsic
>>> size, and the element is laid out at that size.
>>
>> Are you saying that the size of the flex item changes *after* the flx
>> algorithm runs?!
>
> Unfortunately, that's how non-overlay scrollbars work everywhere else
> in the platform.
>
> Scrollbars are a garbage fire.

Oh, you're saying flexing sets the *content* size of a box, not the
border-box size? That's in contradiction to the spec:
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#resolve-flexible-lengths: "Set
each item’s used main size to its target main size."
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#main-size: "A flex item’s width
or height, whichever is in the main dimension, is the item’s main
size. The flex item’smain size property is either the width or height
property, whichever is in the main dimension."

And the width or height property otherwise includes the scrollbar size.

-Christian