Re: [css-grid] Editorial: Example 21 Auto Tracks

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the Example 21 of grid layout spec is confusing:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css-grid-1/#auto-tracks
>
> At least for newcomers, when they read it, they don't get exactly what's
> going on.
>
> Main issue is that it doesn't use the properties just described above
> it: grid-auto-columns and grid-auto-rows.
>
> So they default to "auto" leading to some "special" behaviors:
> 1) If you test the very same code in a browser supporting grid layout,
> the 2nd column will have "0px" width so you won't see the span (the
> result will be different than the picture).
> 2) B is placed in the 5th column, the text in the example already
> explains that the implicit columns collapse to zero, but it might be
> clearer to add some gaps if we set some value for grid-auto-columns.
>
> IMHO it'd be nice to redo this example, or at least add a different one
> setting some value to the properties.

Yup, this example is terrible, for all the reasons you mentioned,
*and* it's now totally wrong!  We now stretch auto tracks when there's
free space, so columns 3 and 4 *would* be visible (rather than
shrinking to zero).

I've logged an issue and will rewrite it and put together a new image.

~TJ