Re: [css-flexbox] aspect ratio question

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:52 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 02/01/2016 03:41 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
>>
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#hypothetical-main-size
>>
>> My question is about item B in that section. Why is it limited to a
>> used flex basis of content? If I specify flex-basis: 50%, but the
>> flexbox has an indefinite main size (-> flex basis is not content, but
>> we also don't hit case A), then we should not use the aspect ratio if
>> we have one?
>>
>> Are there other values than an indefinite percentage (or auto and
>> content) that should be matched by this? My understanding is that
>> anything else would hit A, is that right?
>

> It's limited to a used flex basis of content because if you have
> a different flex basis, you should use that instead. (Intrinsic
> sizes such as 'min-content' and 'max-content' don't hit case A
> because they are indefinite; but they also shouldn't fall into
> case B.)
>
> We did clarify the wording on how unresolveable percentages fall
> into case B, to help make the percentage situation clearer:
>   https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/rev/342ac9d5c892
>
> Hopefully that helps. Let us know if that works, or if we can
> do anything else to make this clearer.

Thanks for the update, that helps. Two thoughts:
- Instead of ['flex-basis' becomes ''content''.], maybe say [the used
value for 'flex-basis' is "content".]?

- To clarify, in https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#algo-main-item
"or depends on its available size" is meant to catch min-content et
al? (by the way, what about fill-available, is that definite?)

-Christian