Re: [css-flexbox] what's a "definite main/cross size" exactly?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 16:45:21 -0400
To: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 03/10/2016 03:51 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> In https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#definite-sizes, both points require a definite size of the flexbox. This is of course
> easy when a 123px size is given, or a resolvable percentage size.
>
> But for an auto size, it is a bit less clear. Given that percentages of children of abspos elements can get resolved, should
> we consider an abspos flexbox to have a definite size for the purpose of this section, since it relates to sizing of children?
> Even though this would not normally be considered to be a definite of the flexbox itself?

This is covered in the definition of "definite" in CSS Sizing:
   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing/#definite

We've clarified it a bit for you by adding an example reference to 2.1:
   https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/rev/89ee7fd37001
but basically the answer is that sizes that derive from definite sizes
are by definition definite, and absolutely-positioned elements are
sometimes definite (when they are not shrinkwrapped) and sometimes
indefinite (when they are shrinkwrapped).

~fantasai