Re: [css-values] Comments on Serialization of calc

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 9:22 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> While this may have some theoretical value, there are no authors in
>> the wild today depending on this, as IE is the only browser that
>> preserves things exactly.  All other browsers simplify at least
>> somewhat, so authors already have to deal with the fact that their
>> input and output might not be identical (or else they're writing
>> really broken code).
>

> This is a very misleading statement. Mozilla only simplifies numerical
> factors, so in fact IE and Mozilla's behaviors are very close and
> preserve almost everything.
>   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=4029

"Everything" and "almost everything" are *very* different when you're
talking about preserving intent. There's a big difference between "a
third of this 40px margin" and "13.33333333px".

> Also, Rossen's concern (which I share) is not just about what authors
> are depending on right now (given lack of interop between Blink/Webkit
> and IE/FF, it's probably not much), but what would be useful for them
> to have going into the future.

Which I addressed in my further points.

> I won't object to collapsing identical units in specified styles,
> but I'm not convinced that saves us a whole lot, especially given
> we plan to add multiplication and division by units and keywords
> into the calc expressions at some point in the future -- which are
> not things that can be simplified away so easily.

I already addressed this in my earlier message.

~TJ