Re: [css-grid] About the meaning of being "sized under min|max-content constraint"

On 19/09/15 00:02, fantasai wrote:
> On 09/18/2015 08:31 AM, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd kindly ask the editors to clarify what being sized under
>> min|max-content constraint exactly means[1] for the track sizing
>> algorithm. In particular I'd like to know if we're talking about just
>> the width|height of the grid container or if we should
>> take a look also to our ancestors to check that (provided the grid has
>> relative or auto sizes).
>>
>> Should we want to extend it to our ancestors then the implementations
>> might start to suffer from severe performance issues
>> because we might need some extra layouts. For example if we want to
>> take into account the values of min|max-width|height
>> restrictions then we need to layout to know whether we're we satisfy
>> or not those conditions.
>
> It means when you're calculating the min-content/max-content
> contribution of the grid container, e.g. if the grid container
> happens to be inside a float (or is itself a float).

Oh, so I had taken it completely wrong. OK, just to be 100% sure, you
mean that it does not apply for example to the following example:

I was assuming that the above was a grid container sized under
min-content constraint, but from your answer this is just a grid with an
indefinite width so the maximize tracks step will grow all the tracks to
their growth limits. Is that correct?

BR