Re: [selectors4] :blank, ::first-letter, and what a whitespace character is

On 08/25/2015 04:43 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
>>> "Everything that white-space:normal will collapse" seems like a
>>> reasonable rule too, but why should *that* not be "all Zw characters"?
>>
>> Because it doesn't have a good reason to go beyond ASCII at all.
>
> I thought Brad's scenario was a sufficiently good reason, and I could
> probably come up with related situations where not going beyond ASCII
> would violate least surprise.=

Historically NBSP does not collapse, and even if we had no other reason,
we cannot change that.

The other reason is that the purpose of collapsing white space is to
get rid of source-formatting white space. NBSP, EM SPACE, etc. are
not used for formatting source code.

~fantasai