Re: [css-ui] resize on replaced elements

> On 10 Sep 2015, at 08:17, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>

> I'm having difficulty understanding how it could be a compat problem for users to simply be able to resize more things than they could before. Perhaps the presence of a "resizer" UI affordance could interfere with activating an element etc.? Could you provide more specifics about how it might not be web compatible?

Mostly, I don't expect it to be a big issue. Since it used to do nothing authors may have mistakenly applied it to random things where they didn't actually intend it to have any effect. Even if that's the case, things becoming resizable doesn't change much, unless the user actually tries to resize things, and if they do, it should be obvious what is happening. So I don't expect much breakage due to that.

But when applied to very small elements, (say, a checkbox), the resize handle could cover most of the element and interfere with its normal use, as you suggested.

In practice I don't think this would be a huge issue, but I am not sure there is much value in allowing resize on things like check boxes, radio buttons and so on. Maybe we should just not make it apply on such things (defining "such things" is left as an exercise to the reader).

 - Florian