Re: [css-cascade-4] transition effects, accessibility and the cascade…

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Chaals McCathie Nevile
<chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Cross-posted to PF and www-style (I am not a member of the latter, and
> unless the CSS group thinks this needs internal discussion I think follow-up
> should go to PF only).
>
> Hi,
>
> this spec is in last call:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-css-cascade-4-20150908/>
>
> I had a look, and it mostly seems good. The new cascade order means that
> users can turn off animations, individually or en masse.
>
> The one edge case concern I can imagine is where a transition is specified,
> which has some harmful effect (flash, movement, etc). Transitions are given
> the highest priority in the Cascade.
>
> I *think* that in such a rare case, a user's !important transition would
> still override one supplied by an author, but I don't see that clearly from
> the spec since it lumps all transitions together.

The *transition style itself* (the temporary interpolating style
applied *by the transition*, which overrides the actual property value
that the tree would otherwise apply to the element) is super-high in
the origin list.  The 'transition' property, on the other hand, is
just part of the normal origin like every other property.

So yeah, a user can definitely apply "transition: none !important;" or
the like and it'll win like normal.