Re: [CSS Abstract] What kind of lenguage is CSS?

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
> On October 6, 2015 10:43:25 AM EDT, Kseso <kseso9@gmail.com> wrote:
>>All CSS documents begin with the purpose of CSS:
>>"CSS is a language for..."
>>This declaration has been changing by time goes.
>>
>>But I could not find a current definition of what kind of language is
>>CSS.
>>
>>Today (2015) and
>>
>>based on all documents CSS (whatever their status)
>>and if (we can take as valid the definition of "programming language
>><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language>" from the wiki)
>>

>>is Css a "programming lenguage"?
>>why yes?
>>why not?
>>If that definition is not valid, what else used to determine if "css is
>>programming lenguage"?
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>
> CSS is not and probably never will be a programming language, because it is intentionally not Turing complete, and that probably won't ever change.
>
> More than that I cannot say.

Being TC has nothing to do with something being a programming
language.  A non-TC language is necessarily *more limited* in what it
can do, but those limits can be made arbitrarily irrelevant (no actual
language is TC because we program on physical machines with memory
limits), and even with reasonable limits you can do a whole lot within
the bounds of non-TC.

That said, this is a philosophical question that hinges mostly on what
you are willing to accept as the definition of a "programming
language", and so it (a) doesn't have an answer that's even remotely
verifiable as "correct", and (b) isn't relevant to the development of
the CSS language, and so isn't appropriate for this forum.

This kind of question is best taken to blogs or other social media.
Please do not continue the discussion here.  (That goes for everyone
on the list, please - maintaining S/N ratio is everyone's
responsibility!)