Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

On 13/11/15 19:20, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Back up a bit, the original request was "is it safe to ship
> 1-dimensional floats with logical directional values?" and while it'd
> be ideal to figure out the final syntax for 2-dimensional floats to
> answer to that question, I don't think it's absolutely required, as
> long as we can agree that:
>
> 1. If no other 2-dimensional-related properties are set (e.g.,
> float-reference), and
> 2. If either 'start' or 'end' is specified
>
> we will handle it as 1-dimensional logical direction.
>
> I think this makes sense given the consistency with 1-dimensional
> properties such a text-align, and shipping 1-dimensional logical
> directional values before we finalize 2-dimensional syntax is
> beneficial. Tab's response reads to me that Tab and fantasai are fine
> with this.
>
> Can we conclude on this point first?

Thanks for reminding us of the original question. :)

Just for reference, what I have recently landed in Gecko (currently on
track for Firefox 45) is an implementation of the logical values as
found in the current text of CSS Logical Properties (Editor’s Draft, 26
October 2015), i.e. 'inline-start' and 'inline-end'.

But because of the lack of clarity here -- despite Tab's message, it
wasn't clear to me that there's anything like consensus in the WG --
these properties are behind a runtime preference that will be OFF by
default on the Beta and Release channels, so the logical properties will
only be enabled (by default) for Nightly and Developer Edition builds.

(They'll also be enabled -- for both nightly and release builds -- in
FirefoxOS, because the FxOS UI wants to start using them. But as long as
they're not shipping on the desktop browser release channel, exposure to
the Web in general remains very limited.)

JK