Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

Sent from my iPad
On Nov 7, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org> wrote:

>> So apparently traditional floats can be involved with these properties somewhat, though it isn't clear to what extent. Does floating an inline float to a column turn it into an exclusion?
>
> Inline floats stay inline floats. They don't change. They behave as they do now.
>
> Floats with a float reference of a column are not inline floats. They are page floats.

OK, I wasn't getting that. It is explained pretty subtly for such a major thing. Now I see that what you've been calling 'inline floats' in your emails are those with 'float-reference:inline', not just those with 'float: inline-left' and 'float: inline-right' (or the physical versions).

The text saying 'Floats that are not inline floats should behave the same as absolutely positioned exclusions...' is very far away from the float-reference property, almost at the end of the spec. (I don't think the term "inline floats" is ever defined as those with 'float-reference:inline'. It wasn't obvious to me.) You should put that whole sentence into the 'float-reference' property description, but instead of "Floats that are not inline floats" it should be "when float-reference is not 'inline'".

Also, in section 6, the beginning of the sentence should be  "When float-reference is not 'inline'", instead of just "Floats". I'd move that to the float-reference definition too.

I still don't like the idea of an inline float becoming an exclusion just because I wanted to move it to the top or bottom of the page or container, or that the container must be a fragment, but at least this would at least go far towards making the spec more clear.

Also, I do not see anything that says 'float-offset' only applies to non-inline-reference floats.  'Float defer' does say it is for "page floats", but that term isn't defined either, and is mislead anyway, since it presumably works with columns and regions too.