Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With this 2-value float, I don't think it is necessary or desirable to change 'float-reference' from its default in order to get 2D behavior. The initial value should be 'float-reference: parent-container', so that it scan also float to the top or bottom (in horizontal writing) of the parent. For example, 'float: left top' should just work. This, though, would required the second component value of 'float' (the vertical or block value) to be 'none', even when you only have one value authored (e.g. float: left').
>

> What would the "parent-container" be? Is it the lowest level block element?

Yes, or its fragment. The innermost block containing it.

> Currently floats are not "contained" by the paragraph the float is placed inside.

I meant in the box hierarchy sense. The next thing up in the box tree.

> And would one want to float something to the top left corner of the current paragraph?

Something like a picture? Excuse my enthusiasm, but abso-mutha-frickin-lutely. Which is to say, absolutely yes. Or to the bottom right corner. I want to escape the tyranny of source order. Freedom!! 😀

Or float a figure to the top right corner of an article. Or a figcaption to the top or bottom of a figure. Or an ASIDE, in articles that have them, to the top right corner of the article (as a sidebar, without having to have empty space when there is no ASIDE in the article). Or a bunch of separate paragraph annotations floated into the top right corner of the paragraph and then negative margined to the right where some space has been left for them.

Actually, what I'd love is to specify how high up the chain of boxes it should go, so that even if it is the grandchild  of the article, it could be floated the article box as the float-reference (without having to create a hidden region and region-breaking a space character at the end of the article into it, or something, so that I could use 'float-reference:region' to do it [which would maybe require 'overflow: fragments' or the like, and an '::after']). Maybe that could be in the next level.

> In general we found out that floats with a float-reference to something that is not fragmenting will behave quite differently than those with a float-reference set to column, page or region.

Hmm. I wouldn't think floating something into the column of one-column element would be that different from floating something into a column of multi-column element, aside from the floated item's parent element maybe not being the preferred reference box.