Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:02 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> fantasai and I discussed this a bit today after reading Brad's email,
> and concluded that we did want to stick with just "start" and "end".

That works for me, even if we don't agree on some of the details of page floats right now.

> Details:
>
> For today's simple 1-axis floats, "start" and "end" are unambiguous
> and simple, and consistent with text-align/etc. In the future when we have 2-axis floats (as in the Page Floats
> module), 'float' can become a 2-value property, consistent with the
> proposals for background-position and scroll-snap-align.  If you
> specify one value, it will duplicate to the second value (as normal
> for CSS).

I'm glad you both like the general idea of the 2-value property (which I envision as a shorthand for 2 or more properties).

There are exceptions to this norm already, of what happens when only one of the two is included. We could make another exception, if the benefit was high enough (a matter of opinion).

If 'float' is a shorthand, then 'float-reference' could be part of it too.

> The default float-reference (inline) will only pay
> attention to the inline-axis value, so the extraneous block-axis value
> is ignored (similar to how scroll-snap-align only pays attention to
> the relevant axis).  For the 2d float references (column, region,
> page), saying "float: start" will just put you in the start/start
> corner, which seems fine.

With this 2-value float, I don't think it is necessary or desirable to change 'float-reference' from its default in order to get 2D behavior. The initial value should be 'float-reference: parent-container', so that it scan also float to the top or bottom (in horizontal writing) of the parent. For example, 'float: left top' should just work. This, though, would required the second component value of 'float' (the vertical or block value) to be 'none', even when you only have one value authored (e.g. float: left').