Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

On 6/10/15 21:14, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/05/2015 10:21 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> On 5/10/15 14:25, Koji Ishii wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm personally in mild preference to use 'start' and 'end' for inline
>>> regardless of 1 or 2 dimensional. That's another way not to regret,
>>> isn't that?
>>
>> For 2-dimensional properties, however, it may be unclear to authors
>> whether 'start' and 'end' refer to the inline or block direction.
>>
>> In the case of 'text-align', which already accepts 'start' and 'end'
>> values, it's pretty clear that only the inline direction is relevant.
>> But I think it's much less obvious that 'float: start' would necessarily
>> refer to inline-start. We don't currently have block-direction options
>> for 'float', but in principle they seem like a reasonable possibility.
>>
>> If we use 'start' and 'end' now, and later extend 'float' to two
>> dimensions, I could see us ending up with 'float: start | end  |
>> block-start | block-end', which seems unfortunate. ISTM that using
>> the inline-prefixed names from the beginning is preferable. Or would
>> you suggest some entirely different names for the block-direction
>> analogs of inline 'start' and 'end'?
>
> I think this makes sense. I'll note though, that for <position>, I
> ended up concluding that unprefixed keywords and requiring a particular
> order was much cleaner: easier to read and author.
>    https://drafts.csswg.org/css-backgrounds-4/#the-background-position

Returning to this thread.... where are we now with regard to the logical
values for 'float' and 'clear'?

We're ready to land an implementation of these logical values in Gecko
-- indeed, we have been for some time now -- but face the question of
whether to proceed with 'inline-start' and 'inline-end', as per the
current draft text at [1], or to use plain 'start' and 'end' as
suggested by Issue 1 there.

Opinions have been expressed on both sides, but it's still unclear to me
what the CSSWG's conclusions are.

Help?

Thanks,

JK