Re: [css3-page] Additional page sizes

On 2015-10-31 06:24, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> CSS-Page supports a short list of predefined paper/page sizes for the
> size property http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/#page-size-prop
>
> A5, A4, A3, B5, B4, letter, legal, ledger
>
> The B4 and B5 sizes included are very confusing for Japanese users, as
> they are defined as ISO B4 (250×353mm) and ISO B5 (176×250mm),
> different from the JIS-B4 (257×364mm) and JIS-B5 (182×257mm) commonly
> used in Japan.
>
> I suggest adding JIS-B4 and JIS-B5 to the list,

+1

>  as well as ISO-B4 and
> ISO-B5 as aliases to B4 and B5 for clarity.
I'm not in favour of this unless its worded as "implementations must
also accept...",
because a drop-down list with all the ISO sizes prefixed by ISO would be
quite irritating, especially for US and Canada people who'd have to
scroll past them all to get to US Letter, US Legal and US Tabloid.  :-)

> There are many more paper formats we could consider, and for instance
> Antenna House supports the following
> http://www.antennahouse.com/product/ahf60/docs/ahf-ext.html#axf.size
>
> I would support extending the list in the specification in that
> direction, but resolving the ambiguity and confusion with regards to
> the B series seems higher priority.

Envelope sizes are worth including (in North America especially
"envelope #10"), but once you get beyond the sizes that come in printer
description files it's generally easier for people to specify sizes in
inches/mm/feet/metres (e.g. for a large poster printed on a 4'-wide
inkjet). There are whole series like SRA (e.g. SRA4, SRA3) and ANSI
variants such as A3+ / Super B / B+) for printing with bleed and/or crop
marks and colour lines.

A shorter list is more helpful in a UI, and the AH one seems a little
arbitrary, but I strongly agree with you about the confusing sizes.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C
XML Activity Lead;