Re: [css-writing-modes-3] Defer auto-muticol behavior in Auto-sizing Block Containers in Orthogonal Flows

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you all WG members for taking time to discuss on this topic in
>> the F2F. For those who did not attend the F2F, this issue is about
>> auto-multicol behavior[1] and here's the IRC log[2].
>>
>> I'm really impressed by the insights by Rossen, Steve, Simon, dbaron,
>> florian, and all who helped this discussion. I didn't have that view
>> point by myself.
>>
>> That changed my proposal from "defer" to "move to other specs". The
>> more this feature is useful, as already suggested in the IRC, the more
>> this feature should be available in other cases than just orthogonal
>> flows, and authors should be able to use it.
>>
>> I'm not sure which spec it should move to, probably fragments,
>> overflow, or multi-col, that we could discuss further.
>
> Why is this needed for anything else?  I don't recall that being
> discussed in the meeting.
>
> The only reason for "auto-multicol" is to handle the case of "infinite
> inline-axis space" in a way that's not super user-hostile.  The naive
> behavior *is* extremely user-hostile; it effectively makes the
> orthogonal element max-content in the inline axis (requiring the user
> to scroll back and forth to read lines of text; we all know how
> terrible this is when reading some accidentally-long <pre> text) and,
> if there's enough block-axis content, overflowing in the page's
> secondary scrolling direction (the one that's annoying to scroll in).
> That situation never occurs anywhere except orthogonal flows, because
> the inline axis space is always finite when all the writing modes
> match.
>
> ~TJ

Thank you, I might have missed or misunderstood some discussions.

Isn't it nice to use this feature for normal horizontal documents or a
div with specific height so that it auto-multicol and user can scroll
horizontally?

When someone mentioned fragments, I was thinking HÃ¥kon's demo to
scroll pages horizontally and thought it's nice. Sorry for the
misunderstand, but isn't this useful?

/koji