Re: [css-variables] var() for non-custom properties

> On May 23, 2015, at 06:03, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, they can. I was (and still am) also in favor of this but I can recognize the extra work for browser vendors is more than just detecting cycles. Browser codes is highly optimized and those optimizations come in the way of making changes to existing things easily. It's a price of the attempts to make browser fasts.

There’s something utterly perverse in thinking it’s an acceptable compromise to throw more work on the shoulders of the thousands (if not millions) of authors to prevent the handful of implementors from doing extra work.
What happened to the W3C priority of constituencies? Users over authors over implementers over theoretical purity, anyone?

> I care about CSS Custom Properties enough to understand that if we ask too much, they'll never land. And I want them to land. So I guess we should compromise. My (personal) opinion is that we can always revisit this later.

That’s fear-mongering. There’s nothing preventing UAs from implementing Custom Properties in their current state before they implement references to other properties. They could even be defined in separate modules.

~Lea