Re: [css-grid] Absolutely positioned items and static position

On 05/08/2015 04:11 PM, fantasai wrote:

>> A third issue is, what if there aren't enough lines for the abspos? Some possible
>> answers:
>>    * attach to the padding edge instead
>>    * attach to the last available grid line (if any)
>>    * create "invisible" grid lines to attach to -- that don't affect layout of the
>>      grid container's in-flow contents
>
> Tab and I discussed this and we're thinking to add implicit grid tracks at
> the edges of the grid until there are enough implicit lines for the abspos
> to attach to. This handles both named lines that don't exist and lines whose
> index is out-of-range. (They're explicitly exempted from the grid-auto-*
> sizing, so they don't change the layout of the grid.)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> ( This is http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid-1/issues-wd-20150108#issue-3 )

I've thought about this more, and it seems problematic. Adding these implicit
lines means we don't know how many lines are between the last line of the grid
and the 'auto' line next to it. That should be a definite number (and that
number should be 1).

I think the best option is to define that for the purpose of abspos, all
out-of-range indices and names are associated to either
   a) the last line of the grid
   b) the end-side 'auto' line of the grid
and then clamp the positioning of any abspos items to within this
'auto'-augmented grid.

~fantasai