Re: [css-cascade-4][css3-ui] naming collision: the "default" value

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:

>>> That's the intent. Just like you need to know what 'initial' means.
>>
>>The intent is to add confusion???
>
> The intent is to be informed. 'Origin' is one of the fundamentals of the
> CSS cascade. Learning fundamentals of a language before using it is
> important... /aside
>
> One point here is that 'initial' is a state. 'reset, 'clear', 'wipe',
> 'fallback' or 'rollback' are actions, not states.
> It doesn't explain the previous point(s) of origin very well.
>
> If no love for 'origin' alone, how about:
> 'ua-origin','default-origin' or 'back-origin'?

"origin" is also an already-overloaded term of art in the web (the
more important usage of it is the origin of a URL), and we don't
really talk about it except in Cascade; in ordinary parlance, we talk
about "the user-agent stylesheet" directly, rather than mentioning the
"user-agent origin".  I agree that it's not a good term to use here.

My favorite is "default-value" from Florian. ^_^

~TJ