Re: [css-cascade-4][css3-ui] naming collision: the "default" value

On Friday 2015-05-01 15:36 -0700, Bruno Racineux wrote:
> Unless 'origin' has some kind of future application relative to
> 'same-origin-policy' for which it should be reserved for. I don't see an
> issue using that keyword for CSS since it matches the spec terminology.

Spec terminology generally isn't chosen to be easily understood.
When we expose a concept in APIs, we should try to choose the terms
carefully.  If those disagree with current spec terms for it, we can
terms are widely known outside the specification community, they
should probably carry more weight, though.)

Two other more specific thoughts on the naming, although I'm not
especially happy about either:

 1. In some ways this is similar enough to 'unset' that it could be
 named as a variant of 'unset', such as 'unset-in-level' or
 'unset-in-origin' or 'unset-here'.  However, I don't like any of
 the things I suggest after the 'unset-' in that list.

 2. Another possibility might be 'fall-back' or similar.  (The spec
 uses "rolls back" to explain what it does.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.