Re: [css-cascade-4][css3-ui] naming collision: the "default" value

On 5/3/15 11:35 AM, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On May 1, 2015, at 3:36 PM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:
>>
>> If the feature resets to the previous origin. Why not call it like it
>>is:
>> 'origin'? Or 'reset-origin'. But 'reset' doesn't have much value either.
>
>IMO, 'origin' adds to the confusion, because it makes me wonder, "what
>origin"?

That's the intent. Just like you need to know what 'initial' means.

>People shouldn't have to read the spec in order to get the very general
>idea of what it does

Doesn't have to be in the spec. The distinction between 'user' and 'agent'
has to explained in browser documentation(s) or articles, either way.
IMO 'reset' or 'ua-default' has the potential to mean "browser stylesheet"
for newbies, when technically, it can be the "user stylesheet" origin.
Which is a different expectation of default values.