Re: [css-cascade-4][css3-ui] naming collision: the "default" value

> On May 1, 2015, at 6:22 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>> On 04/23/2015 01:18 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>
>> If we have "reset" and "unset", I imagine people will confuse the two and will have to look up every time which one to use. I
>> consider that to be a language design failure. It's like replaceChild(nodeA, nodeB) in DOM -- it is ambiguous and impossible
>> to remember what the argument order should be, so I have to look it up or trial-and-error every time.
>
> I'd have been ok with 'reset' (since it effectively "resets" the state
> to what it was at the beginning of your cascade origin), but this is a
> good point.
>
> However, I also don't want to use a term that is technically *incorrect*
> (which makes it *more* difficult for people to understand how things
> actually work!) so ua-default or browser-default or anything like that
> is IMHO not acceptable.
>
> ~fantasai

How about 'clear' or 'wipe', since it is clearing out (wiping out) what the author style sheets had set (or what the author and user style sheets had set, if this value is used by the user).

I don't think we use either of these as values on other properties. 'clear: clear' might be a bit odd looking (wrt clearing floats), but shouldn't be a problem. We might want to use 'wipe' in the future for such things as page transitions, but I think it would more likely be something like 'wipe-left | wipe-up', etc., so that should be OK too.

Are we concerned with collisions with author-defined identifiers, such as counter names?