Re: [css-text] useful 'hanging-punctuation: last' characters

> On Mar 29, 2015, at 6:20 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2015-03-28 at 21:59 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:

>>> If you have a table of words with 8px gap between each cell,
>>> you don't want the cells that happen to end in a colon to have a
>>> 4ox gap because the colon is in the gap.
>>
>> Sure I do. In my use case, if there is a gap or padding, it is both
>> for spacing the labels and for accommodating the colon. It is a case
>> where every label on the left typically ends in a colon, and even
>> those that don't should like up with the rest of the text, not with
>> the colon.
>>
>> I'd be fine if it was a new value that caused this, so that it
>> didn't interfere with other use cases.
>>
>>> You want extra padding corresponding to the colon to be added
>>> to the lines in that cell that don't end in a colon.
>>
>> That would work too, I guess.
>
> People used to do this in Quark with a colon that was coloured the
> same as the background, or effectively transparent. Some more CSS-like
> ways to do it (and less likely to affect selection, searching, and
> image backgrounds) might be

I remember doing that sort of thing in QuarkXpress, but only because I controlled the line breaks more precisely than I would in a flexible layout.

> (1) to access the width of another element that's already been
> rendered (i.e. earlier in the document), so that you could have a rule
> like
>  "th span.colon-width has width of element span#colon"
> Implementos are probably running and hiding...
>
> (2) A property to say "this element's width is ignored for box
> calculations" and put the the colon in a span with that property. Can
> also be used for overprinting.

Yeah, if there was a span around the colon I could abs pos it. Most frequently though, I am unlikely to have that level of control over the source code. It's really a presentational effect that shouldn't require rewriting the source.

A '::last-letter pseudo-element would be cool for that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Occasionally the colon is missing, and I can add it in with '::after', and then I can control it more.

> (3) A property to add a list of characters/glyphs to hung punctuation
> within an element - you have to watch for a colon other than the one
> at the end of the paragraph, though, as that one should not hang.
>
> Overall I'd favour (3) for this problem, optionally with a percentage
> for how far to hang the character,

Yeah, that would be cool. Even if it only applied to the last character.

> andyoud still have to put the colon
> in a span element or something.

Requiring a span around it makes it much much less useful to me. But if that's just to avoid hanging other colons that aren't last, that's rarely a problem for form labels, in my experience.